Thursday, May 11, 2006

A Mouse Murder in America


And then David screamed.

But I'm getting ahead of myself. You see we have this lovely little lady cat named Sera. She's in her 80s, although you wouldn't know by looking at her. She believes kittenhood rules and plans to stay their permanently. Several times a week she goes hunting in the middle of the night. The fact that she is an indoor-only cat is a non-issue. She and her brother Toby have a toy box and by morning every toy is scattered around the house.

Often, she select a particular juicy bit of prey, usually in the form of a glitter ball and breaks its neck. She then delivers it to our bed, meowing her "mouse meow" all the way through the house to announce her victory. If we're awake we tell her what a good and thoroughly vicious cat she is. She sits and grooms herself with pride.

Early this morning she was making a ruckus in our room. Digging in stuff, crawling under the bed, shaking things, all the while doing her mouse meow. Groggily, David told her to knock it off. Yes, ferocious animal. Whatever. Hush.

At a closer look though, we realized she was a predator on a mission. She crouched staring under shelves near our bed. David turned on the light and shone a flashlight under the shelves.

"A mouse! A real mouse! A MOUSE!"

I shut the bedroom and bathroom door so the mouse, couldn't get out. We flushed the mouse out and Sera took off after it.

That's when David screamed, "it touched my hand!"

That little thing was fast and soon it was behind the dresser. Then a box. Then the fan. Then the dresser again. David crouched on the other side of the dresser holding a wastebasket to catch it and I pulled back the dresser on the other side. Sera dashed in and the mouse skittered toward David. He slammed the wastebasket down.

"Got it!!!"

He crouched there, looking at the wastebasket, wondering what to do next. At that point I noticed Sera behind him in the corner of the room. She was having the time of her life, running in tight circles and

tossing a mouse in the air.

"Um, honey. You don't have the mouse."

He turned around, and indeed, Sera Queen of Ferocity, had the mouse. Unlike us, however, her plan was not to remove the mouse from the premises. To her, the mouse was entertainment. Oh, she'd get around to eating it, but what's the hurry? She chased the poor thing in shocked little circles, stunning it with her paw or jaws when it got too active. Sera was having the time of her life.

We felt bad for Sera and for the tortured little mouse. So David captured it with the wastebasket again (for real this time) and it was, well, disposed of. I went back to bed. David got ready for work. And Sera, serene in the fact that she had saved the universe, curled up with me.

Tonight she gets tuna.

5 Comments:

At Thursday, May 11, 2006 9:06:00 PM, Blogger threeminutesapart said...

Um...excuse me, it was NOT a scream. More like a manly yell of surprise. I can't believe you thought I screamed.

D

 
At Friday, May 12, 2006 8:37:00 AM, Blogger Ginny said...

We lived out in the country many eons ago. We found a mouse in our kitchen pantry. My husband decided he could catch it. The children and I stood back. As he was reaching up to the top shelf to search for the intruder, the mouse ran down his arm and he did a very "manly" dance and manly "yell". The kids and I doubled over laughing!!

 
At Friday, May 12, 2006 10:25:00 AM, Blogger Sheryle said...

ROFL! That's hilarious Ginny. Yes, I know exactly what that whole "manly" dance looks like. I enjoyed the entertainment of the mouse hunt tremendously! I should tell the bee story sometime but I better wait until threeminutesapart forgets about this post...

"Manly yell of surprise" indeed.

 
At Friday, May 12, 2006 7:43:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

One of my cats brought in a shrew once (no comments about the one already in the house). Hysterical thinking about me, my daughter-in-law, my grandson and Bobo the Cat (I didn't know Bobo means stupid in Spanish) chasing the poor little thing all over the house, all of us yelling and laughing and jumping around. Whose name was Bobo? JAD

 
At Saturday, May 13, 2006 4:59:00 PM, Blogger Sheryle said...

JAD: Y'all Bobo! Don't worry, you've lots of company.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home