Saturday, May 13, 2006

Happy Sabbath!



So we're sitting in church and Summerlyn is on my lap, facing me, looking around and wiggling. The girls are quiet in church but you can't keep a 4 y/o from wiggling. Constant nonstop movement until bedtime.

I noticed that she was focused on my chest and I looked down. She had unbuttoned the top two buttons of my blouse and pulled it wide open. I don't think Summerlyn would normally do that, she understands privacy well enough, but I think she was just not thinking, just in her own world.

I gasped and pulled my shirt closed quickly. I was fortunate for two reasons, 1) because she was on my lap the pastor wasn't able to see what had happened, and 2) I was wearing a camisole underneath, otherwise my flesh-toned bra might have caused some of the myopic little old ladies to pass out.

Afterwards we had a potluck. I'm a good cook and I like to experiment. Yesterday I was tired and so threw a casserole together off the top of my head. Since the casserole would be warmed in the church oven, I decided not to cook the diced potatoes before hand. I added mushroom soup and mushrooms and garlic. Nothing fancy.

So when we went down to the potluck I looked for my dish on the table and at first couldn't find it. Until I realized it was sitting there right in front of me. I'll call it the Black Slop of Death. Yes, the combination of not cooking the potatoes plus the grayness of the homemade mushroom soup made it black and grey. Afterwards, David said he saw it and avoided it at all costs. So did nearly everyone else. I had some, perhaps as a little self-punishment, and it actually tasted just fine, but man, it looked repulsive. Actually, looked a little like cuitlacoche, a corn fungus delicacy eaten in Mexico (check out this link only if not easily nauseated), only more dry than slimy.

After we ate (other food) we drove to Leach Botanical Gardens. The girls had a great time exploring all the paths through the gorgeous woods. I used to know a lot of plant names but sadly have lost a lot of that data. It's such a beautiful day, perfect temperature. I don't want to go to work tomorrow. Oh wait, if I stay home I'll have to help David shovel manure into the garden, so I think I'll be content to commute tomorrow.

Hope you all are enjoying the day. Get some fresh air and sunshine and spend time with your families.

Let the heavens rejoice, and let the earth be glad; let the sea roar, and the fullness thereof. Let the field be joyful, and all that is therein, then shall all the trees of the wood rejoice. Psalm 96:11-12

2 Comments:

At Sunday, May 14, 2006 10:19:00 AM, Anonymous lawbrat said...

Happy Mothers Day!

I would have ate your casserole. Maybe ;-0


Sounds like a nice day.

 
At Sunday, May 14, 2006 7:25:00 PM, Blogger Sheryle said...

LOL! Happy Mother's Day to you, too! Thanks for the thought, but you wouldn't have eaten that casserole, I guarantee it. Fear Factor keeps calling me for the recipe.

It was a lovely day.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home