Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Under Where?

When I was a kid there was a couple that was friends of our family. They were quiet, but kind folks who I'll call the Millers. I'll never forget the day I was at the Miller's house watching her cut fabric out to make a dress, just exactly the kind of quiet activity I always thought of her doing. That day she told me that every April Fool's Day she played a prank on her husband. Once she made him a sack lunch for work and didn't peel the avocados that were sliced on his sandwich. She said he never did say anything about that, maybe he thought she was beginning to dodder, so best to keep quiet. Another year she sewed the flap of his underwear shut. As she told me how that one really flustered him, she laughed nearly silently, shoulders shaking. I really loved the Millers even more after that.

Today I thought of that while I was folding laundry. The girls were helping me and Sydney held up a pair of her father's underwear. She said, "Look, there's a pocket." She slipped her hand in and looked momentarily confused when her hand came out the other side. But then she solved the problem, "Oh, I think it's just worn out there. Mama, you'd better sew it shut."

Hmmm.

April is just around the corner....

Then my musings were interrupted by:

"Mommy, why is your underwear bigger than the house?"

2 Comments:

At Saturday, March 11, 2006 8:32:00 PM, Anonymous lawbrat said...

Ya know, kids always know what is the most perfect thing to say. NOT!

 
At Sunday, March 12, 2006 10:41:00 AM, Blogger Sheryle said...

Yeah, don't they though!

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home