Thursday, March 09, 2006

Triplets

Today I have triplets.

We have close friends of the family who had a daughter six weeks after our twins were born, and so we call her the triplet. Her mama and big sister traveled to Kansas today, so little Anneka came to stay with us for two days.

Having twins is much different than having two non-twin children, unless they are less than a year apart. When children are a different age, they usually have the older child-younger child dynamic. Twins and other multiples is more like having a kindergarten class where everyone is the same age and interact accordingly.

Twins are easier than singletons because they have a built-in playmate. Twins are harder than singletons because...well, I don't know why, except that you have double the expense at the exact same time, but that can happen with multiple kids in any household.

On one level, having triplets is not a huge stretch from twins. One more mouth to feed, dress, bathe, etc., adds up to added increments of time and money, but is not huge. I'm not sure how we'd hold hands when we walked through a parking lot, though. I tend to hold my girls' hands in a vice grip, especially since they are little and like puppies: they see something bright and shiny and go dashing after it, no looking to the right or left. They are getting better at that, but my paranoid mama brain still keeps them clamped tight. Come to think of it, my husband drives like a puppy, always looking at the bright and shiny things while I squeeze my eyes shut and internally scream.

Oh, yeah, he reads this blog, too. Nevermind that part about the driving.

Anyway, today triplets are harder than usual since I am sick (productive cough, low grade fever) and the girls are recuperating. David is sick, too, so not able to totally bail me out when he gets home. Blah.

PS. I'm thinking about writing a series of posts on my years at boarding school. I'm not sure how willing I am to air the weirdness of those years, but I'm thinking about it.

7 Comments:

At Saturday, March 11, 2006 8:33:00 PM, Anonymous lawbrat said...

It would be so cool to hear about your time at boarding school. I find that interesting.
Everything you write is interesting, but that would be a cool topic.

 
At Sunday, March 12, 2006 10:42:00 AM, Blogger Sheryle said...

I'll have to start working on it then. It was like a sci-fi time in my life -- a different time and dimension!

 
At Sunday, March 12, 2006 3:41:00 PM, Anonymous lawbrat said...

I can't imagine boarding school. I have visions of kids gone for years. I have no clue what its really about. Or military school for that matter, yet I joke (kinda on some days!) that i'm going to send the boys to military school.
I wouldnt really, but... ;-)

 
At Tuesday, March 14, 2006 3:54:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had no idea you went to Boarding school! Please, please write about it. I would love to read about it. Would you ever think of sending your girls to boarding school?

 
At Thursday, March 16, 2006 10:06:00 AM, Blogger Sheryle said...

Anonymous: I wouldn't send my girls to the boarding school I went to! Since I plan on keeping them locked in the basement from age 12 to age 30, I guess it won't really matter. Gotta get me a basement by then, though.

 
At Saturday, January 17, 2009 1:36:00 AM, Anonymous Jach Tamil Mullan said...

You have mentioned that you are going to post the boarding school wired moments. I hope there could be some or more funny moments like mine. i am really waiting to hear from you.

 
At Saturday, January 17, 2009 1:42:00 AM, Anonymous Jach Tamil Mullan said...

oops. i thought these are current event and i didnt check whether you have posted your exp... it has been two years...aap. and still i didnt check.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home