Friday, January 20, 2006

When Parental Efforts Backfire


In this household, we BAM the grumpy bug. This has come in very useful over the years with tired and fussy girls.

"I think that naughty grumpy bug has been biting you. You need to BAM it!"

This is followed by little fists banging on the floor, wall, couch, wherever we happen to be. Sometimes, after a successful bamming, one of the girls will gingerly pick up the grumpy bug's carcass, pinched between her thumb and forefinger. They take it to the bathroom and triumphantly flush it.

"And DON'T COME BACK!"

Tonight the girls were in the tub. Summerlyn had definitely been bitten by the grumpy bug and was wailing away after some minor offense (such as "Sydney looked at me!!!" or "My toes are wet!!"). Daddy told her to BAM the grumpy bug.

"I don't want to!" Wail....

He tries again,"Oh, you really should BAM it!"

Sydney joins in, "Here it is!" and starts hitting the sides of the tub with her fist as hard as she can. "BAM! BAM! BAM! BAM!"

Summerlyn, wails, "No! That's not the grumpy bug. I am the grumpy bug!"

Most of you readers, being quite bright, have already figured the inevitable next scene. Yes, Sydney, cheerfully and with great gusto, BAMs the Grumpy Bug.

WAIL!!!!!!!

Lesson Learned by Summerlyn: Never claim to be the grumpy bug.
Lesson Learned by Parents: We'll let you know when we figure it out.

6 Comments:

At Friday, January 20, 2006 11:07:00 PM, Anonymous lawbrat said...

I love the grumpy bug idea! Mind if I use it on my grumpy bugs sometime? For it to get BAMED, and flushed...thats just a great way to get rid of it.

 
At Saturday, January 21, 2006 5:26:00 PM, Blogger Sheryle said...

My pleasure! It often takes several tries with a child who is currently very attached to his/her grumpiness, but BAMMING the grumpy bug with lots of drama and humor usually breaks through. Particularly big bugs get lots of fanfare and you can hum a funeral dirge on the way to their porcelain grave.

 
At Saturday, January 21, 2006 6:55:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do you think if I bam my cubicle everyone will understand I am just trying to get rid of the "grumpy" bug?

GB

 
At Sunday, January 22, 2006 7:53:00 PM, Blogger Sheryle said...

GB, some of us are used to you bamming your cubicle wall. I have always assumed you needed a refill of your meds. :)

 
At Sunday, January 22, 2006 9:37:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You nurses! Just because you're not allowed to get grumpy (with patients) doesn't mean the rest of us can't get grumpy! GB

 
At Monday, January 23, 2006 8:56:00 AM, Blogger Sheryle said...

Don't get me started. I had very annoying patients yesterday and I felt VERY grumpy. I just talk sweet.

Watch out for grumpy nurses. We have meds and needles. ***maniacal laughter***

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home