Friday, January 27, 2006

A Padded Room Sounds Nice

I am still alive. I know this because I'm typing, which is a positive sign that my vital signs are stable and synapses are firing. It's been a long day.

Handed the girls over to Mom after making them waffles, and drove to the clinic in Vancouver. Got two treatments today; the usual knock-me-over IV treatment, plus the one where Dr. M removes a unit of my blood, treats it and then returns it to my body. We usually chat during my treatment, and today we started talking about politics and religion. Wrong. While he and I share common ground in many areas, politics and religion are not included. It was still a friendly, although heated discussion but it distracted him while he was hanging my blood to be drained back in and the next thing I knew he swore and there was blood everywhere. It was on the tubing and on his gloved hands and on his pants. I don't even know what happened to cause the accident. He cleaned it all up but that wasn't the end of it.

While that was going on, my IV site occluded and a large clot developed in the end of the tubing. So he removed the tubing and attempted to reopen the IV with heperin without success. He had to insert a new canula. Then, he had to get the clot out of the end of the tube, trying not to lose the whole tube and more of my blood with it. Carefully regulating the stopcock, he opened the tube over a pile of gauze and tissue and the clot came out in a stringy glob. Naturally, the next thing that happened was that the entire tube decided to let lose and started pouring out before he could get the stopcock closed.

This time my blood was on the gauze, the table, my chart, and his lap top. Blood is such a beautiful color, one of the richest reds known in nature. I almost made that comment to him, but wisely chose not to as he wiped everything down with disinfectant again, with what sounded like an low growl.

Finally, everything was clean again and I got the remainder of my blood back. He then started the second IV treatment, with no discussion of politics and I went and sat in the treatment room without further incident. The treatment room consists of three recliners and one rocking chair and there is usually one or two other patients in there. Today a friend I haven't seen for a couple months was there and we had a nice visit, so it ended well.

Now I'm home and starting to crash from the treatment, physically and mentally, but it's the start of my real day off and I'm grateful. No matter what your religion is or beliefs are, you should set a side a day as a sanctuary in time. Don't give me excuses, I'm as busy as all of you. Just do it.

2 Comments:

At Friday, January 27, 2006 9:24:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I am in heaven I plan to ask God why he had you spend so much time not being productive. I hope you understand that I mean it seems like you could be doing such good things. Studying to be a doctor, teaching cooking classes, being with friends and family. It is hard to read how much you are going through, and yet I am so grateful that you are sharing all of this. It makes me humble and glad to be your friend. GB

 
At Monday, January 30, 2006 9:05:00 AM, Blogger Sheryle said...

Thank you GB, your kind words touched me a lot today, and are appreciated more than you know. Thank you for your friendship.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home