Monday, January 30, 2006

Don't call her bluff. She's not bluffing.

Portland's public transportation system is called Tri-Met. And my buddy Ginny B. knows what it's good for. She's a Love and Logic mama if I ever saw one. I love this story she told me:

A few days ago my darling little baby boy borrowed my car so he could drive to night school. So, imagine my surprise when his teacher called and wondered where Andy was.

"Why, he is in school. I know because he borrowed by car to go to school!" Uh huh.

In strolls Andy just when he should, as school was out. When I asked him how school was, I got the usual response.

"Fine."

I like to think I am a rational person, but I had had two hours to stew over this situation. Imagining all of the places he was and all the trouble he was getting into. How he was running out all of my gas and would bring my car back empty.

I said loudly (but, not yelling), "Your teacher called twice! You have NOT been in school. You are NEVER going to drive my car again!"

His response: " What are you going to do, take me off the insurance?" He knows I would never do that.

"No," I said, "I will take you to school and bring you home, and you will still NEVER drive my car."

Today is Andy's 19th birthday. As I left my bedroom this morning there was a piece of paper dangling by a string from my doorframe. It read "Please, please let me borrow your car today! I need to go to the bank to get money for my birthday. Consider it my birthday present. Please, please!"

I quietly went into his bedroom and started singing "Happy Birthday to you, Happy Birthday to you" and handed him $2 for Tri-Met.

2 Comments:

At Tuesday, January 31, 2006 5:32:00 PM, Anonymous lawbrat said...

That is AWESOME!!

Gotta love love and logic!

 
At Tuesday, January 31, 2006 7:10:00 PM, Blogger Sheryle said...

Take a bow, Ginny B!

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home