Wednesday, December 14, 2005

IQ

About a decade ago, David and I both took an informal IQ test that had been presented by my psych teacher in nursing school. We both scored high and my darling spousal unit reminds me frequently that his score was one point higher than mine. Like the other night when I stretched languidly and fell out of bed. Hey, even I know that physical dexterity has nothing to do with intellect. Look at Stephen Hawking. And me. The other day I turned to leave my bedroom and ran into the door frame, an incident that is not indicative of my mental acumen or lack thereof.

Nearing the end of nursing school, I took another IQ test just for kicks. It was one of those you can buy at a bookstore. About to graduate, my IQ was eight points lower than two years before. I like to stick with the higher score, knowing that it was likely not accurate.

The other day I came across an online IQ test while surfing and took it on a whim. The score was the same as the graduation score. I was delighted that it hadn't gone down again, since I'd gotten another degree. So I accepted the lower number as truth. It's still good, but I hesitated in telling Turgid Brain Boy. When I did, he boasted that if he took the test again, he would hit 145. I snorted in derision. He raised his eyebrows and said, "Oh yes I could. I will take it twice and add the scores together."

I don't know who's smarter, but the boy can make me laugh, and that's good for something.

2 Comments:

At Thursday, December 15, 2005 6:55:00 AM, Anonymous lawbrat said...

IQ tests can be strange. I had one done when I was diagnosed with ADD. I was not happy with the score, because I was sleep deprived and it was 2 weeks before finals. Justification much? It wasent bad, I just wanted higher. Had I know an IQ test would be part of the appointment, I would have gone to bed earlier!!

I clicked on your 'love and logic' link. I love the Parenting with love and logic books. I need to get the teen one soon. Its amazing how quickly kids will pick up on 'correct choices' when they have 'natural' consequences!

 
At Monday, December 19, 2005 9:53:00 PM, Blogger Sheryle said...

I'd think I'd come out as a supergenious (right) if I wasn't mathmatically retarded. I was just worried that every time I got another degree I'd lose ten points. By the time I got my doctorate I'd be an amoeba.

Yes Love and Logic rules!

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home