Saturday, December 17, 2005

Dreadlocks

I try to keep the girls neat and clean in public. This is an inheritance from my mother, who, no matter how little money we had, would sooner lie down on a train track than let my sister or I out of the house with a single smudge or tear on our clothes.

So at church today, as usual, I had groomed my girls carefully. Today they got side parts with little barrettes. Very sweet. They actually made it an hour looking pretty good. Our service has children's story before the sermon, and just as the pianist played the tune to signal time for children to come up front, I looked at the girls. In the space of 15 seconds they had gone from little groomed lovelies to street urchins with squirrels nesting in their hair. There was no time to do anything about it, and so they ran up front, happy and blissfully oblivious. I sighed.

But I have a solution. Dreadlocks.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home