Thursday, November 24, 2005

Thanksgiving Part II

My husband left me. To go shopping, that is. Yes, it is 11:00 pm. I myself have never gone shopping, purposely, on Black Friday, but this year David was hit by the killer-deals bug. He should have ducked. Unlike many shoppers, however, he has a plan. He only wants to buy a printer. Get in, get out. Riiiiggghhtt. I know him. He has such good intentions: bee-line to printer, bee-line to printer....ooooooh, squishy mousepad......

I can only hope and pray that he gets back home in time for Thanksgiving Dinner tomorrow afternoon. That's right, the day after T-day is going to be our big day. If you recall I worked today and my family was kind enough to arrange their schedules around mine.

The patients I talked to today did make me thankful. There's a lot of unexpected things that can happen on T-day, as today's cases in point show. The dog bite, the squirrel bite, the kid who accidentally stabbed his hand with an EpiPen (bad, just take my word for it), the symptoms after a cancer biopsy, the suicidal alcoholic reaching out. Besides getting together with family and enjoying a meal, a lot of other things happen to people out there on Thanksgiving Day.

Mostly it was nice because many people were grateful for help and said thank-you and "hope you have a Happy Thanksgiving." The other nurses were in a good mood and brought lots of food to share. Then there was one really crabby patient who made me wonder why she called since everything I said made her mad. "Can I help you?" She says, "What do you MEAN can you help me? What kind of stupid question is that?" Deep breath. I'll let that one go and keep the nice thoughts instead. I hope you do to.

Happy Thanksgiving to all of you.

2 Comments:

At Monday, November 28, 2005 4:15:00 PM, Blogger threeminutesapart said...

Hey! I was able to get the printer and it wasn't a mousepad...it was a shiny blue Wireless Intellimouse...2 of them. So there.

 
At Monday, November 28, 2005 10:35:00 PM, Blogger Sheryle said...

Silly me. Of course it was something shiny, not squishy as I suggested. But had there been something squishy, you would have stopped. So there.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home