Friday, November 11, 2005

Privacy. Right.

Back when we were childless, I remember hearing parents say how they wish they had privacy in the bathroom. I couldn't figure that out. Just close the door, for crying out loud!

Now I understand. For those parentless or with new babies, here's the deal. Privacy is a concept foreign to the world of little kidlets. You can tell them that mommy or daddy would like some time alone, but they don't get the point of that. After all, these are the same tiny humans that run naked through the house, little pink streakers of joy.

My daughters are now nearly 4 1/2 and I'm delighted to say that we've finally reached the point where they occasionally stay out of the bathroom when I ask them to. Today I told the princesses that I was going to the bathroom. Alone. Thank you. They complied and I entered the throne room, looking forward to a moment of peace, closing the door behind me.

No sooner had I sat down when at the door came knocking. It was Sera, the white cat. Knocking, of course, means scratching and meowing. Knowing that I wouldn't get any peace, I hobbled to the door and let her in. She's a pretty mellow cat, usually, and I expected her to rub my ankles and curl up on the rug. I sat back down.

Suddenly she sprung to alertness, with that look on her face and ears twitching. You cat owners know what I'm talking about. It's like they've just received orders from the mother ship. She ran to the door and demanded to get out. Now. I stared at her resentfully, but she just scratched at the door and meowed like a mad-cat. I give up, hobble to the door and open it. She moves through the opening but stops midway. What's this? New orders perhaps. I push her through with my foot, grumbling "what do you think I am? Your servant?"

Oh.

3 Comments:

At Friday, November 11, 2005 10:36:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At Wednesday, December 07, 2005 8:43:00 AM, Anonymous lawbrat said...

If its not the kids, its the kittys. I look forward to weekends when my kids go see their dad, but now Phil has a kitten and I'm typically at his house all weekend. The princess wakes us up, makes more of a mess than the 2 boys together. Never leave out paper towel in kitty range. Its not pretty.

 
At Thursday, December 08, 2005 7:48:00 PM, Blogger Sheryle said...

We keep the toilet paper rolling off the back instead of the front. We learned this lesson after several episodes of finding the whole roll unwound on the floor. You'd think we would have learned sooner than that, but we be stupid humans.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home