Friday, November 18, 2005

Herxing

Herxheimer Reaction: an increase in the symptoms of a spirochetal disease (as Lyme disease, or relapsing fever) occurring in some persons when treatment with spirocheticidal drugs or other therapies are started.

Two days ago I decided to drink and entire bottle of mangosteen juice over the course of the day. I've never done that before although I've wanted to. At $25/bottle, frequent guzzling is out of the question. I expected to gain energy like I usually do when I drink and ounce or two. That's not what happened. The next day I started Herxing. This means, for me, some or all of the following symptoms: severe R-sided headache and neck pain and slight facial drooping, swollen lymph nodes, speech difficulties, fever, exhaustion.

Although it was my day off, I had to go into the office for two important meetings. I first noticed the speech issues about 15 minutes into the first meeting. I could talk, but had to fight to come up with the right words and not slur or stutter. So I kept pretty quiet. By the time I drove home, the Lyme-grain (my version of migraine) started in. I get these about 1-2x/wk but they are usually mild-moderate. Not this one. This was a bring-me-to-tears, want to crawl under the couch and die, kind of headache.

The good news about herxing is that it means the evil bugs (B. burdorferi) are dying. Dying I say!! DIE, BUG, DIE!!!

Sorry about that. I get a little insane when it comes to Lyme disease. I like to imagine the little monsters shriveling like salt on slugs and maybe even screaming a bit. That makes me happy.

So today I'm drinking another bottle of mangosteen juice. Yes, I have issues. I considered not doing that again, but hey, I might as well really go for it. Besides, I only had two bottles left so I might as well give it my all. So if you see me with the right side of my face drooping, tears running down my cheeks, but peering at you with my left eye with a wicked grin on my face don't call the authorities. The monsters are dying and I am thrilled.

2 Comments:

At Monday, November 21, 2005 11:21:00 AM, Blogger threeminutesapart said...

Looked at the picture, MMM...Yummy!. Looks like spaghetti!

 
At Monday, November 21, 2005 12:39:00 PM, Blogger Sheryle said...

Mmmm, delicious. You want I should make you a bowl tonight? With meatballs:
http://textbookofbacteriology.net/Enterococcus.jpeg

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home